Each spring and fall, the MDC conducts a regional household hazardous waste collection program at a series of local sites in member and non-member towns. The program offers a number of benefits to residents and municipalities:
- Residents have the opportunity to participate in a collection day in their respective towns as well as in other collections throughout the year.
- Participating municipalities enjoy financial savings from the effect of pooling under a single contract the services of a licensed hazardous waste management firm.
- The contractor assumes full responsibility for the collection, transportation and proper disposal of hazardous waste items.
Hazardous waste cannot be simply thrown out with the trash, flushed, or poured down the drain because it passes the problem along to the environment, polluting the air and the water. So the MDC sponsors a HazWaste Program to collect the waste and dispose of it through safe, environmentally responsible practices.
The MDC urges you to participate in a Household Hazardous Waste Collection in your town. Protect the health of your kids, your spouse, your pets, and the environment. You may participate in MDC’s household hazardous waste collection program if you are a member of any participating town; and you may participate on any MDC sponsored collection day.
Residents of any of the following participating towns can participate in ANY MDC sponsored collection day: Bloomfield, East Granby, East Hartford, Hartford, Newington, Rocky Hill, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Windsor and Windsor Locks. For any questions, please contact the MDC’s Hazwaste Hotline at (860) 278-3809.
HOUSEHOLD HAZWASTE INFORMATION PACKET
The Household HazWaste Info Packet contains the complete schedule of MDC sponsored HHW collections for the current calendar year. The Info Packet also summarizes items accepted by the program and items the MDC cannot accept. If an item cannot be accepted at an MDC sponsored collection potential alternative disposal locations are listed. The Info Packet also provides some general information on how to reduce the amount of household hazardous waste you generate.
HazWaste Information Packet 2021
Hazwaste info packet for small businesses, non-profits and municipalities
COVID-19 protocols for HazWaste collections
NEW COVID-19 protocols when attending MDC Household Hazardous Waste collections:
- Limit ONE person per vehicle.
- Remain in your vehicle at all times.
- Keep your windows rolled up.
- Be ready to place driver’s license against window for proof of residency.
- Place only the waste items you want removed in the trunk of your vehicle. Remove all other items.
- Workers will remove the contents and will be in full safety gear.
- Fuel containers will not be emptied and returned.
2021 HOUSEHOLD HAZWASTE COLLECTION SCHEDULE
HazWaste Schedule PDF
All Collections are held on Saturdays from 8AM to 1PM unless noted.
|Date ||Town ||Location |
|May 1, 2021*||Newington||Town Garage, 281 Milk Lane (off Fenn Road)|
|May 8, 2021||Hartford ||MDC Operations Facility, 125 Maxim Road|
|May 22, 2021||Windsor||MDC Poquonock WPCF, 1222 Poquonock Avenue|
|June 5, 2021||Wethersfield||Wethersfield High School, 411 Wolcott Hill Road|
|June 27, 2021 (Sunday)||West Hartford||Public Works Garage, 17 Brixton Street|
|September 18, 2021||West Hartford||Public Works Garage, 17 Brixton Street|
|September 25, 2021*||Bloomfield||Public Works Building, 21 Southwood Drive|
|October 2, 2021||Rocky Hill ||MDC Rocky Hill WPCF, 80 Goff Brook Lane|
|October 23, 2021+||Windsor Locks/East Granby||Public Works Garage, 6 Stanton Road, Windsor Locks|
|October 30, 2021||East Hartford||MDC East Hartford WPCF, 65 Pitkin Street|
(WPCF = Water Pollution Control Facility)
* Used oil is accepted at this collection
+ Used oil from Windsor Locks residents is ONLY accepted at this collection
ONLY RESIDENTS OF THE FOLLOWING PARTICIPATING TOWNS MAY PARTICIPATE IN ANY MDC SPONSORED COLLECTION DAY:
Bloomfield, East Granby, East Hartford, Hartford, Newington, Rocky Hill, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Windsor and Windsor Locks