Located less than 30 miles from Hartford, Lake McDonough is one of Connecticut’s gems. Lake McDonough is a scenic, unspoiled public recreation area that offers numerous ways to enjoy the beauty of New England. The Lake McDonough recreation area is located on the west side of Route 219 in Barkhamsted, Connecticut, just over three miles northeast of the Route 44 intersection in New Hartford Center.
PRESS RELEASE May 17, 2021 Lake McDonough Beach Area Closed for Season
PRESS RELEASE April 7, 2021 MDC’s Lake McDonough Boat Launch to Open Saturday April 10
The Lake McDonough Beach and Swimming Recreation Area will remain closed for 2021.
Fishing by boat is typically allowed from the second Saturday in April through Labor Day. Fishing from shore is also permitted through November 30. Shore fishing is allowed from sunrise to 9:00PM.
Each spring Lake McDonough is stocked with brown trout, rainbow trout and brook trout. A wheelchair accessible fishing pier is located at the south end of Lake McDonough on Route 219, approximately two miles from the intersection of Route 44 in New Hartford Center.
Private boat, canoe and kayak launching is also allowed. Motor boat speed is limited to 10 miles per hour. There are no rental boats.
Boating Registration Form and Agreement NEW for 2021
Boat Launch Hours:
Weekends only for April opening weekend: 6:00AM – 8PM (April 10 & 11)
Weekends only for remainder of April weekends: 10:00AM – 8PM
Daily: 10:00AM – 8PM (May 1 – September 6)
Please check MDC website newsfeed , Facebook or Twitter for latest Lake McDonough boat launch weather related closings and openings.
FISHING AND BOATING RULES AND REGULATIONS
- A registration form must be filled out
- Boats must be out of the water by 7:30PM (half an hour before sunset)
- Everyone must have a life jacket. Children under 13 are required to wear them at all times while in boats.
- Inflatable rowboats are not permitted unless they are Coast Guard approved with oarlocks.
- Prohibited activities:
- Swimming in the reservoir or wading in the reservoir
- Exiting the boat at any point on the shoreline other than the boat launch area
- Alcoholic beverages
- Fishing in restricted areas
- Removal of vegetation, animals, or minerals
- Carrying or discharge of firearms or dangerous weapons
- Operation of drones.
- No jet skis, sail boarding or stand up paddle boarding is allowed.
- No fishing off the docks.
For 2021, the MDC has adopted a new fee schedule for boat launches. Note: all fees include parking.
The cost of a one-day pass is $20 per boat for residents and $40 for non-residents.
There is also an option for a season pass which is $60 for residents and $120 for non-residents.
Residents are defined as someone who is a resident of the MDC’s Member Towns, Non-Member Towns or Watershed Towns: Bloomfield, East Hartford, Hartford, Newington, Rocky Hill, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Windsor, East Granby, Farmington, Glastonbury, South Windsor, Barkhamsted, Colebrook, Hartland and New Hartford.