The Metropolitan District (MDC) is a non-profit municipal corporation chartered by the Connecticut General Assembly in 1929 to provide potable water and sewerage services on a regional basis.
The MDC provides quality water supply, water pollution control, mapping, and household hazardous waste collection to eight member municipalities: Bloomfield, East Hartford, Hartford, Newington, Rocky Hill, West Hartford, Wethersfield and Windsor. Additionally, the MDC provides drinking water to portions of Farmington, Glastonbury, East Granby and South Windsor, known as the MDC’s non-member towns.
The mission of the MDC is to provide our customers with safe, pure drinking water, environmentally protective wastewater collection and treatment and other services that benefit the member towns.
In meeting our mission, the MDC is driven by our core values:
- Excellent, reliable customer service
- A stable, dedicated, skilled and diverse workforce
- Sound planning and financial management
- Continual environmental compliance and stewardship of the watershed
- A safe and healthy workplace
- A program to continually improve our performance
- Open communications and transparency with our member towns and stakeholders
- A workplace and contract service climate of acceptance and inclusion that values and promotes cultural awareness, tolerance and respect throughout the community it serves
- Actively participating in programs designed to develop a skilled and economically viable local workforce capable of fulfilling the MDC’s strategic goals